Harare Polytechnic Departments Details
Harare Polytechnic Departments – See Details of Harare Polytechnic Departments
Harare Polytechnic is Zimbabwe’s largest tertiary technical college. It is located in Harare’s central business district. The institution offers various programs on both full time and part time basis. It is administered by the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education.
Harare Polytechnic Contact Details
The institution opened its doors in 1964 in the then Salisbury during the Rhodesia era. Harare Polytechnic has over the years grown to become one of the leading tertiary institutions administered by the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education in Zimbabwe.
The history of the institution can be traced back from the earliest years of colonial rule during the British South Africa Company epoch. In 1919, the late George Chaloner started Mechanical Engineering classes for some young men working on his farm Hubert Davies and Company. As more young men applied to join his classes, he prevailed upon the Government for assistance.
In 1925 , the Government agreed to start regular classes in the Old Boys High School (Prince Edward High School) and the first Advisory Council was appointed. In 1926 the Salisbury Technical School opened in the Caledonian Hall with Richard Dreary as the first Principal. In 1936 Mr Chaloner led a deputation to Sir Ernest Guest to appeal to Government for a permanent site to establish a college.
A site between Fourth and Fifth Street was acquired and the Polytechnic was completed just before the Second World War. With the post-war boom, this building soon became inadequate. In 1936 the Commerce Department and some of the workshop staff moved into the Old Selbourne School in Prince Edward Street. The new Polytechnic was completed in January 1964 at a cost of $270 000.00 and opened with an enrollment of 1500 students with Mr L.H Davies as the Principal. He was succeeded by Mr EJ Bacon when he became the Director of Technical Education in 1964.
The year 1965 was an eventful year in the history of the college. In January the first library opened, in September, the first black students were enrolled. The Polytechnic was officially opened by Sir Humphrey Gibbs , the Governor in October 1965.
Enrolment at Harare Poly
The institution enrols students with a General Certificate In Education with at least 5 Ordinary Level Passes including Mathematics and English Language. The qualification criteria was however revised to include Mathematics as a compulsory subject to enroll at the institution as part of its agenda to improve its standards. Holders other qualifications such as Advanced level and National Certificates are also enroled for different programs.
Harare Polytechnic Academic Departments
- Applied Arts
- Automotive Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Business Studies
- Construction Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Library and Information Science
- Mass Communication
- National Strategic Studies
- Office Management
- Printing and Graphic Arts
- Science and Technology.
Kindly share with us your comments and suggestions by filling the comment box below. We shall respond to you ASAP